Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: You are not the only person who uses live music....

I can see that your powers of analysis are lacking. I was tested a couple of years ago and can hear just fine to around 18Khz. Your implication that the gear I own has tipped up highs is also way off. Although, with the amps I am using one could perhaps accuse my system of being rolled off in the highs...that would also be false, however.

"Most horns are ear bleeders, many ribbons are pretty zippy, and ESL's can sound very dull."

Based on this response I can infer you have never heard good horns, ribbons and your experience with electrostats was probably with them mated to the wrong kinds of electronics. They can sound dull when mated incorrectly...or thin and constricted as well. My Acoustats, when mated with a top notch SET amp had pristine high frequencies with superb tonal differentiation. I spawned several imitators.

I am not after Euphonic I am after what I hear when I hear a violin at 3 mteters distance or a piano in a small chamber environment or a string quartet live in someone's living room (I had an ex who was a violinist and real chamber concerts were more normal than the exception)

The ATC speakers from what I have heard CANNOT do this. Very FEW conventional speaker designs can do this. The membranes are too heavy and overdamped...in fact this is a problem for all low sensitivity speakers when it comes to realistic dynamics. Ribbons and stats have low sensitivity but it is purely electrical sensitivity whereas the ATC and others have real mechanical resistance to make small changes.

I have no doubt that the frequency response of ATCs are fine so yes they can do that part accurately. It is about what they lose rather than what they keep that is the issue. I am not the only person to think that they sound rather dull and after some time boring. Dynaudio sounds similar in that regard to me. When I listened only to rock music I thought my Dynaudios were great...once i diversified they bored me. Very linear over the frequency range but not able to do dynamic contrasts worth a damn. Same issue with ATC.

Ribbons and stats can sound very realistic up to moderate levels...then they lose it. Good horns can pick up where they left off and have acceptably low coloration. Poor horns are swamped by their colorations...what you seem to have heard.

EC gear is not neutral like you want to think it is...it has a greyish cast to the whole tonal structure...typical problem for SS and tubes with too much negative feedback. I have heard a Strad at 1-2 meters distance on a daily basis and it has VIVID and complex tone. Those who think a good SET is embellishing the sound should hear something like that up close (incidentally where many recordings are miked) and the doubt would vanish.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: You are not the only person who uses live music.... - morricab 01:28:30 11/14/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.