Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Upgrade Help!!!

Thanks for all the great advise, especially "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". I've thought of that more than once. But my undergrad is engineering, so sometimes its more "if it ain't broke, why can't I fix it?" LOL

Kal, I've been exploring Krell, Classe, and will look Bryston. My first look a Krell manual didn't list it as a mode, and I will have to add it looked like a PITA to set up. John, I've never looked into Parasound, but also do some looking in that direction also. And Fantja, I have no intentions of replacing the Rotel, 991 CDP. You are so right; when the 991 first hit the market it so rightly gained the reputation as a giant killer that performed way above its price point. I think it still out performs lots of the current crop of players. I chose it over a new (at the time) Arcam FMJ player that did sound great, but not quite up to the involving sound of the Rotel.

I totally agree with "listen, listen, listen". I've repeated that mantra to everyone who's asked my advice. My extremely patient girlfriend suffered through being drug from one audio showroom to another while I was putting my current system together! Unfortunately I'm now living just outside Blacksburg, VA and there's very few (any?) higher end audio shops where I can go and do some serious comparison listening located less than a couple of hours away.

Please feel free to continue lending comments and advice. Any upgrade is going to mean retiring what has over the years become great audio companions.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.