Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: recommendation

I can speak to the bass performance of my Stereo 35, as it has been a long time since I've heard an SCA-35, though the SCA-35 power amp section is almost the same as the Stereo 35.

Like the SCA35, the Stereo 35 is an EL84 amp, sounds sweet and even has some "snap" that I do not often read is associated with vintage tube amp designs. I find the bass to be not as deep as with other amps. However, it can also be sonically interpreted as the bass being tighter and more controlled than might be expected from a vintage tube amplifier design.

Remember, though, that you’re probably not going to get the powerfully deep bass and dynamic yet controlled overall sound that you’d get from a solid state amp. Generally, you’d be trading those things (along with solid state sterility) away for tube lushness, sweetness, palpable tone and in-the-room presence, all in a reasonably dynamic presentation.

Though I find the bass performance of my Stereo 35 a little short but still satisfactory, I understand the EFB improves the bass response further.

Edits: 11/09/14 11/09/14 11/09/14 11/09/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.