Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

Upgrade Help!!!

Hi fellow inmates, been a while since I’ve posted here, but I’m in a classic audio quandary!

For over fifteen years I’ve been enjoying my current setup of a B&K Ref 20, Ref 7250 amp, a pair of Klipsch Ref 3s, HSU VTF-2 sub, and a Rotel RCD-991. Yes I know by audio standards it’s all very ancient, but I’ve been happy with the sound and it’s all run flawlessly for years. But like the rest of us audio crazies, I’ve finally caught the upgrade bug, and I’ve got it bad!

One of the reasons I’ve not upgraded is my audio listening is about 80% music vs. home theater. I run music in “Direct Mode” through the Ref 20 with the sub set at “Ultra”. This way I gain the sound of a vanilla stereo preamp without the interference of any of the processors, but still feed the subwoofer to fill in the lower end where the Klipsches can’t go. The Rotel-991 has Burr-Brown DACs along with the adjustable dither (set at 4) that sounds, to my ears, better than the Motorolas in the processor.

My problem is I’m not finding any newer preamp/processors with a “Direct Stereo” mode that has the option of including the subwoofer. One that does is the B&K Ref 50 S2, after it being deleted in the Ref 30s and 50s. While I’ve read they were very nice units, B&K is for all practical purposes out of business. ATI doesn’t seem to be offering much support and Elite Audio (started by George and a few former B&K employees) is also out of business. So, if I did have a problem not much chance of any competent service. I’ve been searching all the usual audio stuff sales haunts looking at late model Anthems, Arcams, older Krells and Proceeds and not finding it.

Could anybody lend me some help on a good upgrade? One thing I realize is my old Rotel is technologically very old and DACs have come a long way since it was produced. So, maybe I should forget about the “Stereo Direct” mode and move to the newer (better?) processors in what ever prepro/processor I eventually settle on.

Thanks

Gene

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Topic - Upgrade Help!!! - Gene54 06:11:45 11/09/14 (12)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.