Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

Anyone else here think that reviewers who love Soulution amps are full of S/&T??

I really, really, really, don't get the love affair with this brand of amplifier.

I have heard this brand now numerous times with numerous ancillaries and three or four different brand of speakers and I come away every time with either "ugh sounds cold and a bit sterile" to "ok, but what's the fuss?".

With Eventus speakers it was UGH, with Thiel CS7.2 it was UGH, The first time with Magico it was UGH, the second time with Magico it was "ok" but not what one reviewer is claiming with amazing dynamics and accurate tone. It sounds a bit gray to me in the tonal pallete and the dynamics are not particularly explosive like I hear with KR Audio Kronzillas, for example. By comparison it sounds a bit dead to me.

I think, for example, what I have heard from BAT SS amps and from Edge SS amps are far more convincing than Soulution.

I recently heard an all Soulution system with Magico Q1 speakers and it was definitely not better than my Reference 3a MMC, NAT Symbiosis SE, Monarchy Audio M24 rig. Resolution was not better, dynamics were not better, low level resolution was comparable and tone palette was better differentiated with my system. Cost difference is tremendous!

A funny fact is that my Ref 3a MMCs use carbon fiber woofers, like the Q1 and a Be tweeter, like the Q1. However, they go further in being time coherent and with a much simpler crossover (only 1 capacitor total).

The total cost of the Soulution system was probably close to 100K, for only cd player, integrated amp and a small pair of stand mount speakers!!! Did it deliver for that price?? No Way!

Bottom line, several reviewers have hyped these electronics as being among the best of the best but from what I hear they don't really get very close to the best tube or hybrid gear.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Topic - Anyone else here think that reviewers who love Soulution amps are full of S/&T?? - morricab 01:19:44 11/06/14 (58)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.