Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

I hear ya, I understand, been there, and learned how to use a subwoofer

Being an old fart raised on honking sized three way speakers blasting Led Zepplin, I held out changing my speakers for - lets just say a decade or two. I eventually had to switch over to a sub/monitor setup because basically, three ways were too big and bulking. And in truth, the technology of speakers really has passed them by.

I did try it a number of times to setup a subwoofer speaker setup. And failed over and over again. Sounded like crap!

However I was making the same classical mistake ALL us, lets just say "vintage" ears make. I tried making my subwoofer the "woofer"of a three way speaker. Ahhhh, it isn't engineered that way!

Stop trying to use your sub as a WOOFER. Use it as a SUBWOOFER.

Long LONG story short. I ended up with a pair of Zaph Audio SR71 speakers that go cleanly down to around 50Hz. All the subwoofer does is fill in below 50hz and gently bolster up the bottom end. NO MORE NO LESS. A subwoofer should almost not be heard or noticed in a system. But it should be noticed if it's off or on.

Your problem is learning HOW to setup a sub. Try posting over in the speaker forum and learn how to "tune" your subwoofer properly.

Also some tips I've learned over the years.

Get a good plate amp, like a Kreager from Madisound. You don't need a big ass sub box.

Stop trying to get your monitors to go down to 30Hz - they NEVER will. That's what the sub is for.

If you want email me.
charles

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.