Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

Paralleling does NOT mean bridging. Paralleling means wiring the 2 channels in parallel.

Bridging essentially is making a fully complimentary, fully push-pull amp from 2 channels. The effect, among others, is of doubling the powersupply Voltage, which quadruples power (from that of 1 channel).

IF IF IF the channels of a stereo amp are rated at double the power into 4 Ohms compared with the 8-Ohm rating, then when bridged, the 2 channels combine to 4 times (into 8) the power of one channel into 8. Arithmetically, if the amp is rated at 100 into 8 and 200 into 4, then when bridged the amp has 400 watts into 8.

Paralleled, a stereo amp most likely will have no more power into 8 Ohms than one channel did, because that output is limited by the powersupply Voltage, and when paralleled, that PS Voltage is still the same. Into 4 Ohms, the combined power will increase because the current combines because the output impedance halves. I don't understand all of this, but Nelson Pass rates the amp at 30WPC into 8 and 15WPC into 4; when paralleled, that becomes 30 Watts per chassis into 8 and 60 per chassis into 4.

And I disagree that bridged amps always sound not as good as when not bridged. Much depends on the frontend circuitry that reverses signal polarity into one channel. If it's very well executed or if there no additional circuitry but the 2 channels are driven by the 2 opposite-polarity halves of a 'balanced' signal, bridged channels can sound even better than when not bridged, assuming the amp is not driven into current-clipping.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.