Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: I've read many times that 6SN7's are "big tone" tubes, but........

Back in around 1990 I was looking to upgrade from my Croft Super Micro preamp, and KJ West One in London suggested the Super Micro A, which came in an identical box to all the other Croft preamps, but was a more sophisticated design, including better regulation and more linear circuits. It turned out that there were two very different versions of the SMA, with one having SRPP circuits using ECC83 and ECC82 valves, and the other based on a simpler topology but using the octal valves 6SL7 (one per channel in the phono stage) and 6SN7 (one in the line stage, shared between channels).

After audition I decided on the SRPP version, as I felt at the time it was the more neutral-sounding, but I did enjoy the octal preamp - it had a lovely bold and rich sound.

The only octals I have in my system now are the Sylvania 6SL7 and 6SN7 in my differential 300B amps.

Alex

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: I've read many times that 6SN7's are "big tone" tubes, but........ - Alex M 05:08:10 10/30/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.