Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

EarMax OTL headphone amp as a line stage....

I'm sure there have been posts about this in the past. But I just have to say. When the linestage of my ancient Quicksilver full function preamp went out (no, not the tubes) I patched my EarMax in line as a yeoman line stage using a dual RCA to phone plug adaptor ($8.00, from Rat Shack). Everything plugged into the QS is now going into the EarMax via the tape outs, so I retain switching capability.
I didn't expect that much, but this little guy works INSANELY great as a linestage! A very slight residual hum, no doubt due to the zipcord that powers the wall wart power supply. Nothing I can do about that. But it is sweeter, cleaner, faster, punchier and more transparent than the already fine line stage in my Quicksilver. A LOT more transparent. The signal is now just being routed thru the QS selector switch, the tape out switch, and the high quality volume pot of the EarMax...that's IT. No doubt that's what I'm hearing...the loss of a LOT of parts in the signal path.
Not ALL headphone amps work as well as the EarMax, when I tried my new Schiit Valhalla, I had to take it out of the line quickly, because it was farting DC into the signal path. But the EarMax behaves impeccably. If you closed your eyes, you'd think you were listening to a very expensive tubed linestage...it is to LAUGH!! :)
AnalogDog
Mozart and Beethoven are giants...who are standing on Haydns shoulders.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Topic - EarMax OTL headphone amp as a line stage.... - AnalogDog 10:55:21 10/27/14 (3)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.