Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Playing with NCore NC400 Class D

Sensible points. I find my $1200. nCore 400s have a much different 'sensation' than all the ICE designs that I've auditioned at home with the exception of the Rowland 500 (now redesigned 525?). Don't know enough to say if its the ICE supplies or the implementation/design but with the ICE versions I noticed my shoulders clinched up unlike with the PS Audio, Rowland, NuForce SE, and mostly the nCore. The method or degree of filtering could be the issue but I just can't say.

It maybe just me but I found my body doing the same thing at a recent audio show where digital was the source.

What I noticed sonically with my first switching amplifier, the PS Audio, was subjectively detailed bass and the complete lack of congestion with increasing volume compared to my A/B amps. IMO this is the fundamental difference in class D presentation that many have issues with. To be clear this is in comparison with similar priced solid state A/B amplifiers.

I find the nCores powering a pair of Avalon Acoustics Monitors a perfect match in my small recording studio. The presentation is relentlessly plate glass transparent, perfect for monitoring and absolutely not for casual listening.

I'm still in the dark as to why the Hypex 1200 series iterations have become so costly.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.