Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Opinions on SS integrated amps, please list and rank them

I'm sure you'll get lots of opinions, and I don't really have a *lot* of experience (altho I had a Yamaha A-700 integrated amp in the 80s, then got a 60's vintage Dynaco SCA-35 tube integrated that blew it away sonically, then got an Audio Analogue Puccini SE from Italy that was very similar to the Dynaco (but all SS). It was a skoch better in many respects and cleaner sounding ...).

My latest systems have been separates (tube pre into tube power amps, now heading towards a SS preamp into the tube power amps).

$2700 should get you a very nice integrated amp, and should sound noticeably better than the receiver (depends on many factors though including quality of speakers, setup, room, and your critical listening preferences). Maybe the new hybrid ones from Rogue are worth looking at? Sphinx with remote $1400 ... this one is fairly basic tho WRT bells and whistles.

Do you need a phono stage? MM or MC cartridge? Do you want to 'integrate' the new integrated amp into the surround setup or will it be separate? I'm not familiar with methods or drawbacks to this approach ... but seems like it would narrow the possibilities somewhat.

What speakers do you use? Some rated at "8 ohms" actually dip to 4 in the bass, so some amps may not be as 'comfortable' driving them (altho I would suspect most $2000 100Wpc integrateds would be fine).

Some of the ones here may be good candidates ...

Edits: 10/16/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.