Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Playing with NCore NC400 Class D

With all due respect to Bruno and his design, 'D' amps are no longer for me.

The ICE amps I recently replaced while having no issues, simply didn't compare with my new, modestly priced Conventional A-A/B amps. Most of the difference is in the highs with somewhat better extension an imaging with the 'new' amps.

I realize that ICE is NOT NCore! At THE I have briefly heard the NC1200 on 2 different occasions and had some time to talk w/Bruno. Great guy and extremely knowledgable.

One factor with ALL 'D' amps is that the maximum power is typically TIME LIMITED due to small or insufficient heat sinks. This is not a big issue, unless you listen to sine waves at high levels. But the output filtering which I believe common to ALL 'd' amps IS an issue. I finally isolated the HF problem with my ICE amps to an odd form of picket fencing with my panels. And I experimented a LOT with panel placement AND orientation. My guess would be that conventional cones won't show that phenom. Ribbons will, however and sacrifice the extreme HF extension for which they are noted.
Too much is never enough

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.