Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

Crown X4000 follow up

I moved it to the garage system to see how it would do there driving the Acoustat 1+1s. The cabling was a bit different in that I used single ended connectors with the SP9 found there.

The results were not as good. Sound is decidedly grainier. Perhaps it is part impedance mis-match to the speaker as the Acoustat has lower impedance over most of the range than the Sound Labs, pre to power mis-match (ARC recommends minimum 50k input impedance where Crown is 10k) and/or the lack of a balanced connection. Not terrible, but clearly not as open as the Stasis that lives there. I still have one pair of New Advents that I formerly used there. That is perhaps a better match since they are a bit more opaque from the outset. The amp will, however, drive them pretty darn loudly!

The amp clearly clips (and not gracefully) before the clipping LED lights and is darned sensitive even with the lower setting. I found the best arrangement was to run the attenuators on the amp about 12:00 to allow the preamp's gain to be in the 11:00-2:00 range.

Summary of this exercise? This is no giant killer. It's decent for the money but its not going to replace what I've been using in the music systems. I'll probably keep it for a while and then move it on the 'bay.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Topic - Crown X4000 follow up - E-Stat 14:05:12 10/14/14 (35)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.