Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Rogue Audio - Atlas Magnum and Stereo 100

The Rogue product page also lists Mundorf EVO oil caps in the ST100, which are better than anything in the Atlas Magnum, and even in my older Apollo/Hera. The $1500 is probably from a combination of factors, e.g. beefier PS (at least more storage if not bigger iron, I would think), better input stage circuit, better parts, bigger faceplate and cage (though I think the Atlas looks much cooler than a big box). A better PS could allow the ST100 to have higher peak/dynamic power output, which is far more relevant to music than continuous rating anyways.

I've had and heard a lot of Rogue gear, and always felt that the extra cash outlay up the line yields roughly proportional gains in sound. Rogue doesn't BS you. Though it's true there are those "key" pieces that just stand out a lot at their price points. The Atlas Magnum probably being one (I had the plain Atlas which was great for under 1500), and I feel the Athena preamp is another.

A while ago I compared the non-Magnum Atlas to a friend's Stereo 90 on my Tannoy Kensington SE, and the Stereo 90 was definitely worth the extra cash. I'd like to think Rogue is trying to keep that kind of separation with the new ST100 vs. Atlas Magnum, though the continuous power discrepancy is gone (again, dynamic power is probably more important and they don't list that).

Edits: 10/14/14 10/14/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Rogue Audio - Atlas Magnum and Stereo 100 - mulveling 12:41:56 10/14/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.