Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Ugly, it's a good thing you asked ahead of time

"That's NOT a doubly or a doubler!"

It's something like that. I haven't bothered to reverse engineer the thing. I am not planning to reuse any of it.

"18 VAC RMS"

Reread what I wrote. Not RMS, I said zero to peak.

Here is a picture I took last night of the transformer output into the preamp when it was running. 5V/div, 2mS/div.

"You should measure and report on the scope trace at the output rails AFTER the regulators"

Did you read the post you are responding to? I described it in a way I considered to be pretty clear at the time. What exactly don't you get about my description? The picture didn't seem all that interesting to me since it looks almost identical to the one I posted last night.

Here it is. Ac coupled view of noise on +18V rail if i recall correctly. 5mV/div, 5mS/div.

"it is unclear whether the preamp runs on balanced rails OR a single rail."

Hmm. Only unclear if someone hasn't actualy been reading the thread. I mentioned before the audio sections have plus and minus 18V rails.

"I suspect balanced rails, i.e., +9-0--9 and not +18-0"

Yes it's plus and minus 18V rails.

"You should trace the diagrams out by careful examination. Here are ways voltage doublers actually work, but I don't think that is what you have"

Not doing it. The chances of me reworking the existing supply are very slim. Doesn't seem worth it at all. My preferred method is off the shelf but if I diy I'm scrapping everything and starting over.

"Yes, in general, they are NOT a good idea"

I get why they would have gone that route but there would be no reason for me to use that type of circuit if were trying to upgrade other than if I were trying to reuse some of the existing circuitry for some reason.

Edits: 10/11/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Ugly, it's a good thing you asked ahead of time - Ugly 08:58:54 10/11/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.