Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

IMO personal preference re: sound is not about value.

In terms of reliability, longevity, and service CJ is among the best. For my own sound preferences CJ's older lower end models like the pv and mv lines offered damn good value when they were released. To my ears they beat hell outta comparable ARC models. I suspect the Classic & ET3 are relatively good value too, but then I've liked the CJ products which you and others probably consider too "tubey".

I have no desire/need for remotes. I do care about jack layout (related to ic and/or spkr. cable positioning in my setup) and looks. I do care about bass oomph and delineation, but not as much as you do, and I suspect I prefer a warmer/thicker/wetter bass than you do too. We primarily listen to different styles of music also.

Maybe the newest Rogues are better, but when I heard the 99 Magnum pre I was unimpressed. It would just be a sideways move for me. Dunno about their amps.

I'll probably end up getting a 6SN7 pre to replace my aged pv10. So far I haven't heard a 12ax7 or 12au7 based pre that betters an old CJ Premier 3 - for my taste, that is.

Edits: 09/27/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • IMO personal preference re: sound is not about value. - Rick W 13:58:25 09/27/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.