Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Parasound A21 vs A23?

The answer I get from Richard Schramm is that the main difference is POWER. The Transformers are of different voltage and VA rating. Quality of parts is SAME and they should sound the same when run below clipping. Topology and number and type of amp 'stages' is identical.
The '21 has slightly higher Class 'A' bias.
Both run slightly warm. But NOT cooking or too hot.
For speakers above say, 91db sensitivity or so, I'd recommend the '23 without hesitation.
For speakers which can be BiAmped? A PAIR of '23s work wonders. Just ask my Magnepans.
Highly reactive speakers, like some B&W or some Thiels may need the higher power OR biamp of the lower.

And you've got the power wrong. The '21 = 250x2@8 and 400x2@4
while the '23 = 125x2@8 and 225x2@4 . Some sources have it as 200x2@4, but I'm going by what the Parasound website says.
They both BRIDGE. They both have switchable Balanced and Single ended inputs. ONLY the single ended will 'jumper' from an output to input of the OTHER channel. This is what I'm doing. I run ONE single ended cable to each amp. THAN, I jumper from output to input of the OTHER channel and I'm set.

And, for the real overachiever, each channel has a level control. My plans include REMOVING it and replacing it with a PAIR of 1/4 or 1/2 watt resistors. I'm told, again by Richard Schramm, that a SLIGHT improvement will result, if I don't need the variable level feature.

Too much is never enough

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Parasound A21 vs A23? - pictureguy 20:54:53 09/20/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.