Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

manufacturer reputation and age

There is no technical, published spec for manufacturer reputation, but do your legwork. Don't buy some exotic, ultra tweaked amplifier from a company that might not be in business in 5 years or less. Stick with major companies with a reputation for quality and durability. Amplifiers certainly do sound different, but a novice has a lot more to worry about. A super duper amplifier that blows up and cannot be easily repaired sounds pretty crappy.

Age affects solid state electronics. Power supply capacitors fail eventually, even in the very best equipment. You are rolling the dice on equipment that is more than 10 years old. Mechanical items such as switches also fail. Every internal component is subject to failure, and some transistors can no longer be obtained for repair.

Look for good heat management (big heatsinks) and plenty of venting. A big (heavier) transformer and power supply caps will typically outlast smaller, marginally applied components. Every time power is cycled on/off, the life span is shortened.

Of all the components in a stereo, the amp probably affects the sound the least. This is an asylum. People here go on about amps and will gladly make you crazy, too. Buy an amp in your budget range that has the basic features you need. Start listening; don't obsess over whether it's the best amp in the world.

Personally, I never cared much for Rotel sound, or any Class D amps. Investigate the newer generation of chip amps, also called gainclones. Some major manufacturers now employ these, and they produce superb sound with minimal fussy circuitry and are incredibly reliable. If you care to learn about it, there are simple kits available that can give you excellent value.

Peace,
Tom E
berate is 8 and benign is 9

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.