Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Any Rogue Audio Stereo 100 users here? Looking for opinions ....

The Stereo 100 looks exactly the same as the Stereo 90---same power supply caps, meter, layout, tube fuses, etc. Since the Stereo 90 could use almost every output tube type including KT120s, I assume the Stereo 100 can as well. The big difference is the change in driver tubes from 6sn7 to 12au7. I prefer the 6sn7 drivers of the stereo 90, not sure why Rogue went with the 12au7s.
One nice feature is the seperate tube fuses and bias pots for each output tubes. This protects your amp should a tube fail, and allows you to use unmatched output tubes. Handy if you want to try NOS tubes like Mullard EL34s or GEC KT66---try finding a matched quad of those!
The sound is not very tubey (with the stock EH tubes) if that is what you are looking for, but has enough bloom in the midrange that it will not be mistaken for a solid-state amp. Very neutral sounding I think. You can make the amp richer by substituting tubes.
IMO the (Stereo 90) amp sounds superior in triode mode and I rarely use it in UL. Great service from the company, whenever I have called or e-mailed I have gotten immediate help.
An option you might consider is looking for a used Stereo 90. Then use the money you save to upgrade the coupling caps,diodes, binding posts, key resistors and wiring. I modified my stereo 90 and was surprised by the sonic gains. I liked it stock but liked it even better after the mods.
I think you can't go wrong with either amp.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.