Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: metrics of amplifier quality/value?

The metric you WON'T see except in extremely RARE cases is an amps ability to work into a REACTIVE load.
Speakers are NOT resistive. Most persons look at OHMS in the Impedance spec and equate that to the OHM of DC resistance. Not so.
Speakers look like either a Capacitor or an Inductor to an amp. And it varies constantly as a function of frequency.
So, while the 'impedance curve' or whatever, is sort of important, an amplifiers ability to drive the reactive portion of the impedance is FAR more important.
Not all amps are created equal in this reagard. Pick a pair of amps with the same RMS rating and they will respond differently when you throw reactance into the mix.
Some fairly highly regarded amps fall flat, while a few 'dark horse' amps do rather well.

To repeat points made by others, just to make sure you get it:
The trick is to choose amps and speakers which are compatible. To name a few names? Some B&W speakers are very reactive. Generally not good for tube gear. Magnepan, OTOH, is reasonably resistive and is an EASY load for any amp capable of supplying its sheer power need.

Dont' forget, either, that doubling an amps power is ONLY 3db. It may be easier to purchase more sensitive (not efficient) speakers rather than simply tossing more power at another, less sensitive speaker.

My suggestion would be to purchase speaker AND the amp as a 'pair'. Listen, at auditions, for those things YOU value in music. Rhythm? Pace? Dynamics? 'Slam'? Detail? Fill in the blank with what YOU think is important. Try to find a sales guy to WORK WITH you on this.
Doing a fresh start online and going thru the buy/sell/buy routine would drive ME nuts.

Too much is never enough

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: metrics of amplifier quality/value? - pictureguy 19:17:34 09/01/14 (2)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.