Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

Per the manufacturer's spec info it looks to be a fairly low gain design...

The MM gain is stated as 35dB which is average, however the input sensitivity that this is based upon is stated as being 5.3mV (1K Hz) which is higher than average.

Think my V-LPS phono stage has (for example) a stated input sensitivity of 3.5mV and per the help I once received here in the forums the gain was calculated to be in the 38-39dB range.

This was only 3-4dB more than my previous (even cheaper;-) phono stage(s) known as the Li'l Rats, but it was just enough to work well enough with my setup.

If you cannot achieve enough volume using the volume pot on your amplifier, then you will need a phono preamp with higher overall gain.

If you can achieve enough volume, but just have to turn the volume pot higher, then I would just live with it for now (this is what volume pots are for) and wait until you make changes/upgrade in the future.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Per the manufacturer's spec info it looks to be a fairly low gain design... - DeKay 18:04:37 08/31/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.