Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: New To Me Rogue Amp On The Way

Before you spend a lot of money on tubes I'd ask about the best cost effective models first. I live in Hong Kong and I purchased a Line Magnetic integrated - the dealer also sells Rogue and for 12AX7 he recommended relatively inexpensive Tung Sol 12AX7/ECC803-S Gold and I must say I'm quite excited by how rather massive the improvement has been over the stock Shuguangs. And they're sanely priced at $24 each. link below. The Tung Sol sound better in my amp than the 4 times the price Raytheon Blackplates I was using. Note: this may not happen in a different amp. A tube may win in one amp and not in another amp. But the Tung Sol seems to sound quite open clean and quiet (no noise) and have nice tone.

My DAC uses two 12AU7 tubes and he recommended the NOS RCA baldheads (The Chinese give tubes various names based on the looks). There is no metal plate on top just clear (hence bald) - they run about $60 each but has been quite worthwhile. https://tubedepot.com/products/12au7-rca-clear-top

Anyway - some not too pricey options.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: New To Me Rogue Amp On The Way - RGA 03:25:43 08/24/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.