Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: New To Me Rogue Amp On The Way

The KT120 with only 150 hours are still infants -- barely burned in!

I think recently Rogue has taken to often shipping the JJ frame-grid 12AX7 and late USA-made (60s-80s vintage) 12AU7 drivers. Since the Cronus has that 1 "more important" 12AU7 preamp slot, they'll usually do something different there; I think I saw an RCA clear-top in someone else's photos (decent tube, but plenty cheap and common). Once I got a sub for the 12AU7 (e.g. 5814 or 6189) in an Ares, but it was also late make USA. The good news is that while this stock complement isn't completely awful, it's easy to improve on, and there will be many options.

It may be wise to hear it stock first before deciding in which direction to venture. Again, you'll have a lot of choices for all kinds of sounds. One big decision will be whether you prefer 5751 vs. 12AX7 -- both have their fine points. And this slot makes a BIG difference in Rogue amps. Do most of your experimenting here, and in the preamp 12AU7. You can also consider 12BH7 as a slightly more exotic (and better sounding) drop-in sub for the 12AU7 drivers. Microphonics and noise are not a big deal in those driver slots, which is good because that can be the 12BH7's achilles heel (you'll need 12AX7/5715 that aren't too microphonic, though). Some gear can't facilitate the 12AU7 => 12BH7 sub beacuse of its extra filament draw, but all the Rogue gear I've asked about can (Ares, Cronus Magnum, Apollo).

Edits: 08/23/14 08/23/14 08/23/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.