Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

Surge Protector Inquiry

My ARC VT-100, a 100 w/ch tube power amp, was taken out by a power incident. It was fully warmed up and I was listening to music--no storms or electrical activity due to weather were in play. It was a pleasant, sunny afternoon. Suddenly, without warning, all the power in the house went off. 1-3 seconds later, it came back on, far faster than I could get across the room and turn off or unplug the amp.

A fuse on my amp opened. I replaced the fuse and restarted the system. It played music, but I shut it off. The next day, there was a piece of a resistor on the floor under the amp. When I opened it up, I saw that the burst resistor was next to the V10 tube socket. There was scorch on the CB and a trace in the area was melted and cracked (pic attached).

The unit has been sent to ARC for evaluation, and I have contacted both my homeowner's insurer and the power company about possible compensation.

When I asked ARC about preventative measures, a surge protector was suggested, but no other information was given.

I have been scouring the web looking for info on these devices including here. Unfortunately, there is so much contradictory information and variations in specs and claims, I am more bewildered now than before about what I should buy.

I have a dedicated 20 amp circuit for my audio system, so, I believe I need something for such a rated outlet. I found this item: http://www.brickwall.com/collections/surge-protectors-home-theater-hdtv/products/20-amp-10-outlet-rackmount-audio-surge-protector
which has such a rating.

I wonder if anyone has experience with this unit or one of its brethren who could comment on its effectiveness?

Using an ARC SP-8 tube preamp and B&W Matrix 801 Series II speakers.

Many thanks,

George

Edits: 08/23/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Topic - Surge Protector Inquiry - George S. Roland 09:42:43 08/23/14 (12)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.