Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: AV and stereo integration

Not sure why he has those sources going into the Roksan opposed directly into the Denon. The Roksan preamp section may be some better but going into the AUX it still goes through the Denon preamp. So I'd take the Roksan out of the loop to simplify things.

To the original question the Marantz 7701 is a good performer at a good price. Preamps are not just chips, any one who thinks a receiver is as good as a dedicated preamp, even for HT, must still hold to all CDP's sound the same. A HT preamp still benefits from better analog circuits and dedicated power supply amongst other places of upgrade. Just as lower distortion and noise, better definition, better frequency response etc. benefits music it also can HT, if you care to go that far. A quality HT preamp can provide better steering of sound effects, dynamics and transients to movie soundtracks, to name a few benefits, clearer dialog. I've had A/V processors from Arcam, Primare and Marantz, I've never regret spending the extra money nor have I ever thought a receiver was just as good, just not so. However, I do understand the limits of a person's budget and priorities. Then there's also the consideration of how much to invest in a piece that will surely be outdated in some way down the road. Some really expensive preamps have platforms that can be upgraded with firmware or even actual boards when features become available but unfortunately I don't know of any in the $1500 price or even double.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.