Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Tube amp Or Preamp

"Which contributes most of the sound of tubes."

I'd say typically the power amplifier.

In general the output topology is quite different as most SS Amps. look like a voltage source, i.e. essentially zero output impedance. This is due to the lower device impedance making it quite practical to not use an output transformer and having (maybe) enough gain-bandwidth to support using feedback around much of the circuit. The low Zout affects the speaker's damping and crosstalk between the drivers.

The latter factors seem to be highly questioned these days in audiophile circles and rightfully so as it's turning out that our hearing appears to be quite a bit more sensitive to the HF and temporal aspects of the sound than we used to believe meaning that the old minimum GBW assumptions are probably invalid.

Implementation-wise any idiot can build a tube amp that sounds decent. I know because I used to do so in Jr. High and except for not being able to afford good output transformers they sounded fine. Transistors on the other hand, even now require a deeper understanding and skill set to achieve excellent performance. BUT they are a lot more stable over time and can easily deliver the goods untouched for decades.

There is less difference in preamps because the lower power levels mean that smaller geometry, faster parts can be used that have fewer aural drawbacks but still have the long-term stability advantages of SS.

The ultimate answer is that you can't judge a book by it's cover or an amplifier by it's parts. It's really not the medium, it's what you do with it. Home audio is seriously lacking decent interface specifications AND each of us is a little different (some more than others) so lacking perfect systems we have to stir our tastes and tolerances into the mix.

Listen to as much stuff as you can and patterns may emerge that will help you to decide what works for you. If getting highly satisfying sound was easy this forum would not exist...

Best, Rick

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Tube amp Or Preamp - rick_m 11:36:33 08/17/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.