Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: New Cary SLI-80 tube "dates" ?

You might actually need to install the power tubes in the order of the numbers on the boxes, 1 through 4, from left to right on the amp, if the boxes were so numbered. That's the way mine came along with instructions to do it that way. I have assumed that meant they are matched at the factory and need to be installed in that order so that the matched pairs stay together in each channel. However, in your case, if all four were properly matched together as a quad, then the installation order would not matter.

Those date codes are in a year-month format.

The age of the tubes does not really matter, as long as they are good. What matters is that they are electrically matched, accordingly. Personally, I also feel that it could be very beneficial to have date codes matched (or very close) as well, for channel-to-channel (left-to-right) consistency in sonic characteristics. I am sure some will disagree with this, but I strive for it.

If you ever replace the power tubes, buy them from someone who can match them at the plate voltage you can expect in the SLI-80. Cary quoted me figures in the high 500’s of volts, but I have not yet had a chance to measure it in my SLI-80 myself. I suggest tctubes.com

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.