Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

Power Amps for B&W Matrix 801 II

Greetings,

Apologies for the long posting, but it seems maybe I'll get more informed answers if I provide more background.

I am struggling right now with what to do about my power amps. I recently bought a pair of B&W Matrix 801 II loudspeakers, with which I am pleased. My preamp is an ARC SP-8 and I have no expectation to change that. It has a good phono stage and I like its sound. I have three power amps: a Hafler DH-220, an ARC VT-100 and a Bryston 4B-ST. I keep the Hafler around as a spare but don't use it much.

Due to a power outage and electrical surge while my VT-100 was plugged in, turned on and well warmed up, one of the fuses blew. The next day I found the bottom half of a resistor on the floor under the amp. An examination revealed the blown resistor and some scorching and circuit board damage in the area near the V-10 tube socket. There's a possibility I could have ARC repair the VT-100, but the cost would likely be over $2,000. which might be better spent on a different power amp.

The Bryston and Hafler amps work, so fortunately I am not without music.

I prefer the more "musical" sound of tube amps particularly in the treble, hence my use of the VT-100. There's no doubt that the Bryston 4B-ST has better control over the bass. However I sometimes find the high frequencies a bit too etched and hard.

I listen to mostly classical music and opera at moderate levels (ca. 98 db peaks typically according to my R.S. meter) so I am not looking for arena rock sound pressure levels and want something that produces voices and strings in a natural-sounding manner, without hard, over-etched, "hi-fi" sound. I am especially sensitive to this in operatic vocals, choruses and orchestral strings which often sound screechy on some electronics.

So I am looking in the used amp market for a solution. I don't want to spend over $3,000. I am considering the following options at this time:
ARC VT-100 Mk II or III. This would give me a newer amp with a sound quality I know I like. Bass may be a bit soft, but to me, that is preferable to etched highs if that trade-off is inevitable.

ARC VT-200. This amp is about at the price limit for me. I am considering it because the power output may be better able to drive the speakers. However, I worry about this amp as I have read that they eat a lot of tubes and keeping the tubes working would be a very expensive proposition. I have no way of knowing whether this is generally true of this amp or was a bad experience of one owner.

VTL. I've heard good things, but do not know the models or costs I might consider.

Moving on to solid state:

Mark Levinson 431 should have enough power, but I'm unsure of the sound quality or reliability. Would come with no warranty.

Bryston 4B-SST similar in power to the above, will probably have some warranty left, is supposedly more refined and smoother than the amp I have, but I'm unsure if it will be "enough" smoother.

I don't know enough about models I might consider by Pass Labs, GAS Ampzilla, Threshold, Krell, Classe or Mcintosh.

So that's my problem.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

George

Edits: 08/14/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Topic - Power Amps for B&W Matrix 801 II - George S. Roland 08:46:03 08/14/14 (22)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.