Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: New Cary SLI-80 signature owner has questions

Ditto about switching with the power off, though I can switch mine with the power on and the pop is not terribly loud. Maybe they're using a different switch now.

As time goes by, be aware of any change in how the switches "feel." I had to send my SLI-80 back to Cary under warranty because one of them failed, which they said happens. Might be good to have a look inside, which is how I found my switch had failed – I could see the side of the switch housing was broken. Take note also of any missing solder connections or loose parts shaking around freely anywhere inside the amp... ahem.

As far as the EH KT88 sounding harsh in UL, I noticed the same. I changed to a quad of the New Sensor Svetlana 6550. They’re inexpensive, sound real good, not as harsh in UL and also not as rolled-off as the EH in triode.

If they supplied you with Chinese 6SN7, you might try something else there, too, but changing the EH KT88 might net you the biggest improvement off the bat.

Edits: 08/14/14 08/14/14 08/14/14 08/14/14 08/14/14 08/14/14 08/14/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.