Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Bryston 4B-ST sound quality

The sound quality of the 4B-ST is good but not great. In the late 1990's I owned a 4B-ST driven by the BP-25 pre-amp and assorted solid state and tube source components (all driving 91 dB efficient cone/box speakers).

The good: deep and abundant low frequency reproduction; quick, powerful dynamic presentation of well recorded rock and modern music (serious and not so serious); articulate clear representation of most instrucments; toe tapping drive.

The not so good: less than clear reproduction of soundstage clues; somewaht flat in presentation when compared to the best of the day; edgy or slightly raw higher frequencies; imparting a sense of electronic hi-fi that is slightly unnatural (if that makes sense to you as it does to me).

As others have posted, successors in the line improved upon the the ST's faults. The 4B-ST was a good value when new and may be a great value today in the light of its robust build. If paired with appropriate gear, most of the "not so good" features can be minimized.

Cheers,

Ian

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Bryston 4B-ST sound quality - lochrider 05:55:51 08/14/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.