Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

New Cary SLI-80 signature owner has questions

Just got it, letting it burn in on triode. EH tubes were a little harsh in UL mode. I'm a newbie to power tubes so I have a few questions:
- I tried switching from UL to triode with the volume all the way down and still got a loud pop from my beloved speakers. The manual does not give guidance on changing mode so I'm now doing it with the unit shutdown which is not convenient. Is this normal?
- any guidance on which order to power up equipment? I have a tubed phono pre and a tubed DAC. The phono pre (AAV1) manual says it should be powered on first so I've been doing it that way without issue. Again very inconvenient if I want to switch to LPs after tuner or CDs for warm up and I need to shut everything down. Also, my tuner is really a Mac mini and DAC for Internet radio. I usually turn on the Mac mini first so it can boot up and start Pandora. I get a soft pop even with the DAC shut off and the Cary volume all the way down.
- any tips or input, including tube rolling but I've already read quite a bit on that, are appreciated!
None of the noise issues happen with my Plinius 9200.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Topic - New Cary SLI-80 signature owner has questions - Terry P 14:45:37 08/13/14 (19)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.