Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Anyone have experience with Audio Research VS-115

I bought a VS115 a couple of years ago brand new from an authorized dealer. It came with stock VT120 tubes. In the first week that I had the VS115, I noticed a hum and the transformer was getting extremely hot. Then a resistor popped. Actually I think 2 resistors blew. I found pieces of the resistor on the table below the amp. When it happened, it scared the shit out of me. I was driving my then brand new Harbeth M40.1s. I called my dealer and they actually offered to get me a new amp but I decided I don't want to go through that again. My dealer took the amp in exchange for a McIntosh MC452. I really think Audio Research needs to figure out a way to use a fuse or a breaker rather than a blowing a resistor. Fuses can be replaced and breakers can be reset by anyone without needing to break out the soldering iron. Anyway, the VS115 is a nice sounding amp. I've been happy for the last 2 yrs with my Mac amp and I have no desire to upgrade. It's nice not to worry about tube biasing, getting old and finding replacements.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Anyone have experience with Audio Research VS-115 - SteveM324 18:27:19 08/08/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.