Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Yes, seems to be so

Prime Design A100 is a 18 year old integrated amp with a pre that can be separated from the power section only 100 were manufactured due to manufacturer having problems including a bad review plus a stupid rush to get on to market before it was properly signed off. Mine has been extensively modified hence the excellent performance. I have previously posted part of the spec. 11O watts into 8 ohms, 200 wpc into 4 ohms ,damping factor 200 measured at 40Hz THD 0.005%, 500 VA transformer 80,000 mfd capacitance. Words & Music told me that the TA-1AES could still be used as a power amp despite having to use it via two line stages, the pre-out of the excellent Sony DA5400ES AVR (UK version). Being delighted with my Sony combo DA5400ES/XA5400ES the idea was to use a all Sony system but the new Sony amp was a big disappointment. My TL speakers full range Jordan drivers are not bi-wired so I can not use the Sony AVR in bi-amp mode, the A100 driving front speakers gives a better bass performance than the AVR. I was completely misled by the TA-1AES OTT reviews. I took the Sony amplifier for a second opinion to a loudspeaker designer that I know, he is also an audio electronics engineer and he completely agrees with me over the sound of this latest Sony amplifier. He is also the person who told me that FET inputs in power amps should not be used for lowest distortion especially at HF. Apologies if I miss read you re the bass issue but read it somewhere.

Edits: 07/26/14 07/26/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Yes, seems to be so - Disbeliever 07:20:58 07/26/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.