Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

Re: Dolby Atmos

No, it will not have Dolby Atmos initially. However, Emotiva have stated that they were one of the 1st companies to be licensed for Atmos. And they have said that the unit is capable of being upgraded to Atmos. If that will happen and when is anyone's guess.

IMHO, I wouldn't base my purchase of buying a prepro on whether or not it had Atmos. 1st of all, very few HT setups are really setup to make full use of Atmos, which requires a *lot* of speakers. A minimally acceptable Atmos setup would have a regular 7.1 complement and then 2-4 height speakers added to that. How many folks have rooms (and wives [g]) that can support 11 speakers or more?

2nd, there is precious little Atmos source material. Hell, there is precious little 7.1 material. Without source material, you have thrown money into a system that cannot show its full potential. I am not denigrating Atmos, it is very cool technology. And it *may* eventually become the de facto standard. But I think that day is at least several years in the future.

Until then, the smart money invests in the best quality 5.1 or 7.1 (or 5.2/7.2) system and speakers and makes use of sophisticated room correction systems like Dirac, Trinnov, and Audyssey XT32...
-RW-

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.