Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: REVIEW: Pass Laboratories XA 30.5 Amplifier (SS)

Nice review. Thanks for sharing.

I had this amp with the X2.5 preamp. Although the amp did a lot of things right, in the end, found it lacking just a bit with mid-range clarity compared to my DIY tube amp/preamp setup. The connection was just not there in my system with too many recordings.

I had all but given up on solid state. Then, I stumbled across Electrocompaniet gear, and lo and behold, the attributes you attribute to the Pass in your system were there with the Electrocompaniet gear. Picked up a ECC-1 CD player, an leftover NOS EC 4.7 preamp, and a as-new A2-120 120 watt Class A balanced power amp. Incredible sounding combination for SS gear.

One difference in impressions may be the speakers. I have ATC SCM-19's with a SVS SB13 Ultra subwoofer. IMHO, the SCM-19's are among the very best monitors out there. They can play loudly and clean. They are brutally accurate. No audiophile euphoric sound from these babies. That is why they are used in so many music studios across the world. The Electrocompaniet gears just sounds more natural with the speakers, especially the low level detail, along with the high treble. No zzzz, just a nice natural ring.
" Don't look back. Something may be gaining on you"

Satchel Paige

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.