Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

Please help..What is "adequate" ventilation for a big ARC amp?

My amps manual says that if the amp is placed in a rack, then make sure it has adequate ventilation, but gives no rule of thumb..other than ambient temp not to exceed 120° Fahrenheit.

This ARC hd220 seems to run pretty warm, uncomfortable to leave your hand on, not quite burn it, but still pretty hot. The shelf above if cannot be moved. I only have 2 inches (5cm) of space between the top of the amp and the shelf above it. The amp does have exauhst fans for the heat sinks, which oddly, when put my hand at the fan grates, doesn't seem all that warm, but the top lid, especially by the tubes gets hot. It's like class A hot. The amp has free air movement on all four sides, except the top. Should I be concerned?

I'm thinking- Should I just tape a probe thermometer to the shelf above it and have it dangle and take a reading? Or is that measurement flawed because it's only by the top plate and not an average ambient temperature for the whole unit ?? Confused.

Thanks

Edits: 07/11/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Topic - Please help..What is "adequate" ventilation for a big ARC amp? - Audiolover718 23:17:17 07/11/14 (8)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.