Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Volume control settings

"What most of us may not consider is when we advance the volume control we are not truly adding gain, we are reducing gain attenuation. Note that some preamps/receivers are actually marked with negative numbers which decrease as the gain position is increased."

This is a sweeping generalization that is not always true. There are ways to actually control the gain of an active device, and there are a few preamps that function in this manner.

"So rest easy. If you changed your amp and you now must advance your volume control to a higher position for a given listening level, all other things being equal, you likely now have less distortion in your signal path."

I completely disagree. Draw the AC current loop between the output of your source and your volume pot. Observe the differences at different positions.

While a volume pot that's cranked all the way up only ends up serving as a pair of input resistors, you would have to make the case that the output of the pot would be incapable of properly driving the circuit that followed when turned down a bit.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.