Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

New amp! Very happy!

I'm extremely pleased to announce that I just upgraded my amp from my trusty adcom gfa555se to an Audio Research HD 220. It's mated with my ARC LS17 and Sony SCD-5400ES.

I am floored by the increase of soundstage, micro-detail, and all around musicality. It is more extended top to bottom, and sounds incredible. The adcom put up a good fight, but was ultimately no match. The soundstage of the adcom was flat by comparison, and width and breadth is beyond reproach with the ARC.

The arc is way more relaxed in its presentation. Vocals are much less forward than the adcom. It is less bright, yet had tons more detail. The center image floats better, is larger, yet less " highlighted"..

The ARC runs much hotter than the adcom. It doesn't seem to have as much gain either. I have to raise the volume on the preamp a little more to reach satisfying levels. As well, I also think the LS17 is also running a little warmer since connecting it to the HD220. I don't recall it bent as warm yo the touch before when connected to the adcom... Could it be due to impedance matching?

I'm using mogami xlrs, ANC the stock power cord for now. Maybe I'll try the pangea ac-9se to repkace the stock 12 gauge. I'm very satisfied with my upgrade!

Edits: 07/09/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Topic - New amp! Very happy! - Audiolover718 23:27:17 07/09/14 (8)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.