Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Will ARC VT50 drive Matrix 805?

I have no experience with the B&W speakers but I owned the ARC VT-50 and VT-100mkII driving less than sensitive Thiel CS1.5 speakers.

Thiel CS1.5 Specs: Sensitivity: 86dB/2.8V/m. Impedance: 4 ohms nominal, 3 ohms minimum. Maximum power handling: 150W.

I thought the ARC VT-50 sounded slightly compressed and a bit lean for a tube amp driving my Thiels. The larger ARC VT-100mkII amp was warmer, more robust and full-bodied in the lower mids with deeper bass, and it was noticeably more dynamic overall. What surprised me was the difference in sonic character between these two amps, and not just the difference in dynamics. Strange.

In this particular setup driving the Thiels, the ARC VT-100mkII was outstanding. The smaller VT-50 didn't cut it.

I had a similar experience with the solid-state Classe CA-100 vs the larger CA-200. In this case, they both had similar sonic character but the CA-200 was more dynamic and effortless compared to it's smaller brother. I also owned the CA-300 but with my speakers I didn't hear any significant difference between the CA-200 and CA-300. I suspect the CA-200 hit the sweet spot in terms of having sufficient power for my Thiels.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.