Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Dolby Digital in a Receiver

I had a quick look at the AVR-200 specifics, and while it's probably pretty solid as a 5.1 channel amplifier, I see a bigger problem than the lack of Dolby Digital, namely the lack of HDMI support.

If you have a DVD player which already has 5.1 channel analog audio outputs, great, you're in business, because the player will handle all DD decoding.

There is kind of a workaround to both the DD and HDMI issues if you have a fairly modern TV set: You let the the TV do source switching, and send the TV's TOSLINK digital audio output to the receiver. This works quite well, though it effectively limits you to 2-channel Linear PCM audio. But to date, every Blu Ray and DVD that I've played in this manner has worked: No matter whether the main soundtrack is Dolby Digital, True HD, DTS HD Master Audio etc, there always seems to be a 2-channel LPCM track there as well.

If it were my money? I'd probably just buy a new receiver. It is really amazing what $200 buys these days.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Dolby Digital in a Receiver - 4season 16:02:39 04/14/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.