Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

I have tried SET and PP on my Ref 3as

And I ultimately preferred SET.

For reference the PP amp was the very nice VAC Renaissance 30/30 push pull triode (300B) in Class A zero feedback...I don't think push pull tube gets much better than this frankly. That said, I would still be open to trying something like the Coincident 211 PP or the Antique Sound Labs Cadenza (845 PP) or even Canary Audio monoblocks (again 300B PP).

I currently have the NAT Symbiosis SE, which is not a normal SET as it actually uses a single big MOSFET on the output (the rest is tube) but it is single ended. It seemed overall slightly more coherent and of one piece (I can kind of hear that PP amps are splitting up the sound somehow...maybe my imagination but it is a persistent feeling).

I will be getting soon a JJ-322 parallel 300B amp with about 20 watts and I can then give feedback on what a true all tube SET sounds like with them.

I have Ref 3a Master Control MMC speakers with Be tweeter upgrade and a pair of Ref 3a L'Integrales with Seas Excel tweeter upgrade (big improvement from the original Vifa tweeters that were in both).

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.