Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

Class A to B switching nonsense

Typifying the A to B operation as "switching" is baloney.

RGA's ignorant nonsense ...
"The fact it may measure great steady state at 150 watts is all nice and fine but what is it doing in real world - and people with decent hearing are bothered by this fluctuating (perhaps subconscious) irritation(hash) like a mosquito buzzing around your ears but you can't quite see it."

To be better informed, read the article below by Nelson Pass ...

Excerpt: Nelson Pass ...
We get a lot of questions about this. A typical email reads, “I can’t sleep at night – I keep worrying about where my amplifier stops being Class A. As I listen to my system, I think I can hear the Klunk as the special Class A part of the amplifier kicks in and out!”
For starters, there is no special Class A circuit that kicks in and out, and for that matter, there certainly is no Klunk. There is just a push-pull amplifier output stage which is operated at a constant idle current known as the bias. In this regard, our power amplifiers are like other amplifiers on the market. The vast majority of amplifiers are push-pull designs with a certain amount of bias current.

Dmitri Shostakovich

Edits: 04/04/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.