Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: At best Cheever defines the euphonic, not the accurate

In fact it is. At a more normal 1-2 watts the distortion is very low as it increases with output power. Also, it is nearly all low order harmonics.

As for transistors single ended...that is what I run now (although it is a hybrid with tube input and driver stages) and it is slightly different sounding than a really good SET for what I think are two reasons: 1) It has no output transformer so the distortions caused by those are not present (gives a more OTL like character then) 2) As you mentioned the transfer function of a MOSFET is not the same as a tube; however, MOSFETS tend to follow a quadratic function and when run Class A and this leads to a somewhat limited issue with high order harmonics as compared to the exponentially non-linear bipolar transistors.

Read the simulations done by Boyk and Sussmann:

http://www.its.caltech.edu/~musiclab/feedback-paper-acrobat.pdf

I do find that the NAT does not quite have the holography of a top set but it is very very close and superbly transpaent and holographic. As you might expect the bass is quite tight and controlled.

There is a good reason though that KR gets the reviews it has...it really is that good. Anyone who heard otherwise either heard them with really incompatible speakers or the source was inferior (regardless of the price) because the amp gives sources nowhere to hide.

WHat I still want to try is a SET OTL. To my knowledge, only Transcendent Sound makes one. The problem is tha I think it requires feedback to lower the output impedance to be practically usable for normal speakers (headphones though it is THE way to go). Too much (well any is too much) and the sound "dries up" and sounds unnatural.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: At best Cheever defines the euphonic, not the accurate - morricab 05:15:42 04/04/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.