Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: At best Cheever defines the euphonic, not the accurate

I just bought the Line Magnetic 502CA DAC (it will arrive next week) so That should tell you I am on board.

What you noted with Audio Note this time was no mention of a shout. My recommendation with them is to just give them some more auditions over time. It's not a leap out and grab you sound - and to be blunt I hated them the first time I heard them. I think I know what you mean by the "rounded" commentary but personally after long periods of time with it I have found that what other systems are producing is a fine sense of grain in the upper frequencies for added sparkle.

And I will say that a stunning improvement is the new Alnico tweeter and woofer in the AN E/Spx HE Alnico model in Hong Kong (Product of the Year winner here) for around $20,000US.

Last note: The fact is that AN runs a complete system - if one part of it is not desirable the whole thing will fall short for you. The gear stands on it's own - it's not like you have to run their speakers for example. It's just not going to do it for everyone. Same for the amplifier - I love the 211 but plenty of people much prefer 300B. I heard Shindo Petrus preamp with AN 300B Kegons with the AN E/Alnico at an audiophile's home here playing big Chinese drums direct to disc master and it was jaw dropping big scale.

Unfortunately, while Reference 3a is finally here (the entire current line up in fact) the sound has been rather middling due to the fact that the store owner is running Solid State - the tripped up treble doesn't let me engage and the BE tweeters just tell me more about how bad the solid state amps sound.

What on earth possessed them not to run a quality tube amp is mind boggling - that's part of the reason you buy tube friendly speakers. Fortunately, I know how good Reference 3a CAN sound when set-up properly with appropriate equipment but Ref 3a should tell the HK guys to bring in a good tube amp or a better SS amp if they must use SS.

NAT unfortunately is here but the dealer has Avantgarde with them. The speaker is probably better than what I heard but apartment living space is just not ideal for those loudspeakers and it's not like the amps, or the ones from AMR that they carry, need super super high efficiency speakers. They also carry YG Acoustics which was unlistenable at CES to me but one of my four favorite rooms at the California Audio Show (how's that for polarizing!) So perhaps if they have that combination going it would be interesting.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.