Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Single-ended pentode vs Push-pull triode

To me the KT88 based amps have more hi-fi sparkle but the music seems "pulled apart" a little more (Triode helps and is the only way I would listen to them). I own an Audio Note OTO SEP (EL84) and I have not heard a KT 88 (or an El34 or KT120) that I have found to beat it's "right sounding" sound. The downside of course is power - at 10 watts (4.2 watts undistorted) the OTO is limited in what it can drive and it doesn't possess.

I am not sure you can generalize much from this since I have not heard all the KT88 based amps out there nor I suspect are most EL84 amps up to the same level as the OTO.

I did audition 2 days ago a wonderful KT88 based amplifier (arguably the best I've ever heard from a KT88 from a Hong Kong maker (been around 30 years) called Sound Master (not Mastersound). He was using PSVANE Gray bottle KT88s and made speakers I don't normally like sound rather exceptional.

What I liked about the amp is that you can apparently switch the output tubes to EL34 as well. Their flagship preamp interested me because you could switch between 300B, 2A3, 45, among others.

This is your "fly so far under the radar it's laughable" post but hey maybe it's available for an audition somewhere near you and you might be as impressed as I was.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.