Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: For which technology?

I have not heard this design but if it is not designed properly then you can hardly blame the damn transistors!

I have an amp that runs Class A and uses 1 big industrial mosfet per channel on the output. Yes, it is single ended and yes it uses tubes on the input and driver stages. Yes it sounds very good...far better than any Class AB amp or push pull amp I have owned or heard.

The KR Audio amp I owned before had 1 JFET, 1 MOSFET and 1 big tube for the output and also sounded far better than...well than anything else I know. Also better than the amp above but for safety reasons I had to sell the KR.

Just for your information, I have owned or heard at great length the following Class AB and A amps:

Onkyo Integra A-9711
Sumo "The Nine" amp with Hafler 915 preamp
Sumo Andromeda
Sumo Polaris III (worst amp I ever owned)
Nakamichi PA5E (Stasis design curtesy of Threshold)
Sim Audio Celeste W-4250
Sim Audio Moon W5
Sphinx Project 18 (friend of mine had this for a couple of years)
Ampzilla 2000 monos (same friend for about 1 year)
Krell (various KSA series from original KSA100 to Reference monos)
Musical Fidelity KW750 (different friend and he had some of the Krells)
McIntosh MC501 monos (third friend and had them for several years so I heard them with lots of speakers, dacs, wires etc.)
Plinius SA-102 (another friend still has them)
Accuphase A45 (Class A friend 5)
Mark Levinson ML27
Karan integrated (big don't remember the model friend 6)

Pretty big list there and I am sure to be missing some. Now here is the funny part:
Friend 1 has KR Audio SET hybrid now after switching to tubes completely with many many years with all SS of various kinds

Friend 2 has KR Audio, Lamm hybrids, Sphinx hybrids and sold the KRell and Musical fidelity

Friend 3 sold the McIntosh but even before got an Einstein preamp and now couples that with Octave tube monoblocks

Friend 4 Stil has the Plinius (he has two biamped)

Friend 5 oscillates around a lot but currently has an all Audio Note setup (obviously all tube)

Friend 6 sold the Karan and now has a VAC 30/30 all tube amp.

I have been a SET hybrid man for the last 8 years and before that I was a conventional hybrid man for about 4 years and had started dumping pure SS a few years before that going with PP tube amps.

Nearly all my friends "grew up" and dumped their unsophisticated sounding Class AB SS amps...I just did it several years before they did.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.