Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

Reply to b.l.zeebub

b.l.zeebub said: “Besides spending plenty time in recording studios I've also worked at the German Opera in Berlin on and off for ten years so the sound of unamplified instruments and voices is quite familiar to me.

It's one of the reasons I do not use tubes anywhere in my replay chain as they tend to be less than accurate. They are quite euphonic though but that is not what I am after.

As a little aside: Large, active PMC monitors are quite popular in classic recording circles and guess what?
They are all powered by Bryston amps.”
-------------

You have made it clear that your ears hear orchestral instruments and voices as cold and clinical, thus your preference for solid-state gear that reproduces them in that fashion. You call it accurate. I hear those same instruments quite differently.

I will not even bother to reply to your generalization that all tube components are less accurate than solid-state products.

Today I had conversations with two top employees at PMC’s U.S. office. They confirmed that their best active studio loudspeakers do utilize Bryston amplifiers--sort of. It was explained to me that the amps were chosen for their well-known reliability and build quality. But the circuitry undergoes a major revision to alter the overload characteristics and to change the sonics. PMC found the stock amps to be fatiguing, and cold, hard, and sterile, which is a sound they did not want in their speakers. So they change the voicing of the amplifiers, one said, to fix those problems.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Reply to b.l.zeebub - Alex F. 16:27:20 03/31/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.