Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: My "good" and "bad" recordings

A recording that sounds "good" could in fact be a poor recording if it is smoothed over allowing many systems to make it sound pleasing. For example, I have an old 1955 Chet Baker recording that he made in Paris. It smooth, warm and inviting on nearly every system I have tried it on. Is it is a good recording?? I would argue that it is much warmer and smoother than real life but it sure is nice to listen too. I used to use it as a reference for trumpet because of the great presence it has. I stopped using it because it is smoother and warmer than real life and gives poor differentiation between systems. I still listen to it often though for pleasure because it is really good playing and relaxing. A better reference (but not a true reference) is Wynton Marsalis live at the House of Tribes on Blue Note. That also has great presence but is much closer to a real live event sonically. On an edgy system this record will sound cold and harsh but on a really good system it will sound alive and present (but still not really warm).

I have a couple of near "absolute" references because I was either there for the recording or I made them myself. They are references not because they are the best sounding recordings but because I know how they should sound. If those are right then I am off to a good start with a system!

Well since Pythagoras didn't know what an electron was, let alone electronics, I sincerely doubt he confronted the situation we have in hifi...just sayin'. Nearly all natural sounds are monotonic and indeed so is our ear/brain mechanism. I don't think he had sussed out the intricacies of psychoacoustics either, which are far more complicated than most here are willing to admit.

"You, I, and others are debating whether minute amounts of THD including vanishing amounts of high-order, sounds more or less accurate, (more like the recording), than much higher amounts of 2nd order harmonics. We might also debates whether relatively high 2nd or 3rd order distortion cloaks other types of distortion -- though you are disinclined to consider this possibility."

This paragraph to me simply demonstrates how little you have learned on this forum and through internet research. It has been demonstrated that up to several percent 2nd order is inaudible. So, yes some of us focus on the minute but irritating parts that are definitely audible. Masking is a fairly well understood phenomenon (it is basically how MP3 works at all) it is also explained in some detail in the Geddes papers and Cheever thesis, which I guess you still didn't read or you would not have asked if 2nd and 3rd order cloaks higher orders.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.