Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

My "good" and "bad" recordings

The "good" are the ones that have sounded good over the years with a variety of different components; the "bad" are the ones that sound bad with the same variety of components -- not a complicated criterion.

There is no debate that low order distortion sounds benign (if not actually good) and that high order sounds bad, (discordant, irritating): this has been know since Pythagoras demonstrated it 2500 years ago. Cheevers adds some scientific weight to this ... what deeya know.

You, I, and others are debating whether minute amounts of THD including vanishing amounts of high-order, sounds more or less accurate, (more like the recording), than much higher amounts of 2nd order harmonics. We might also debates whether relatively high 2nd or 3rd order distortion cloaks other types of distortion -- though you are disinclined to consider this possibility.

It would seem a matter of definition that less distortion is more accurate than more distortion, however I suppose that weighting by type distortion might be relevant. Maybe Cheever ought to get off his ass and work on this.

Dmitri Shostakovich

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.