Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Monarchy SE-160 or 250 vs AVA Fet Valve 400 or 600R

Of course I looked into other amps too, but from things I've read I seem to like one of those amps. But perhaps some other amps could be better suited to my liking... It's difficult without hearing it in my own setup...

The amp needs to be powerful and be able to drive low impedance. (modded 3.6R's) I take "full" and "warmish" sound over "detailed" and "harsh" all day. But best thing would be an amp which can do it all. ;-)

I already owned (still own) a pair of the "worlds best amp" ;-) the Hypex NCore's. They don't do it for me... When listening for short time, they are AMAZING, but after some time I am missing "naturality", "musicallity" and "warmth"... In few area's they will be hard (or impossible) to beat, the bass area is stunning and the projection of width and depth and immaging are very good.

I have owned a Marantz SM11-S1, which was not bad at all, but sold it after being overwhelmd by the NCore's. Would like to have it back now... But it wasn't exactly what I want either...

I REALLY like the sound of big, powerful tube amps (the good ones, not the ones which sound dull and liveless...), but I don't like the hassle with limited life of power tubes. If a power amp is an hybrid design with small pre-amp tubes, this is no problem for me as those tubes do have long life and are not too expensive to replace.

The amps from Mr. Pass always have had my attention, but unfortunately I never could listen to one in my own set. Perhaps I should start saving some more money and buy one (2nd hand). If it doesn't suit my liking, it's quickly sold for the same money I suppose.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Monarchy SE-160 or 250 vs AVA Fet Valve 400 or 600R - Mark V. 14:10:04 02/25/13 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.